Wednesday 19 June 2013

Madwoman of Chaillot

 So this project was a group collaboration between us costume lot and the make-up, prosthetics and wigs kids at LCF, and the play we worked from was 'The Madwoman of Chaillot' by French dramatist Jean Giraudoux, written in 1943. Our group's theme was 'In Her Eyes'.

Now. I've already said I hate period. So you can imagine my disgust when I was sat in that briefing. But then we had a trip to Paris and I went to L'Absinthe and the project became more tolerable. 



A lip piece from a vintage store in Paris, just because.

I got to design the character of the Madwoman herself, Countess Aurelia. I paired up with make-up, prosthetic and wig student Stefanie. Now how was I ganna tackle this without being obvious and boring and BLARGH whilst compromising on the group?! It was an adventure. Design went through changes throughout!

My main research influence was the Arc du Triomphe- Victor Hugo died in 1885, and in the play Countess is described in 1885 fashion, so I thought it was probably relevant in the writer's mind.
So yeah taking that architectural element as she's a female leader in Paris as her silhouette, she is the land.


And then ABSINTHE. Glorious Absinthe which taste rank but gets us drunk in no time! Because she's 'mad' and absinthe made people 'mad' and because i'm 'mad' that milky absinthe I experienced in Paris became the colour palette. And looking at absinthe paintings my partner Stef had these hues of blues and yellows came in. 
And for the hair and face, well the group was looking at 'Gothic' as an initial theme, and I was looking at American Gothic paintings and sculptures and how the eyes were widened to communicate 'wisedom to fools' and because the world is 'In Her Eyes' BINGO. Big eyes. Big absinthe eyes. 
Following the architectural influence, the hair's muse was Eiffel tower.

Now this was the original design





But then I was like errrrrrr a squared butt ain't shit. Let's take it out. So new design:


What I love about my Costume course at LCF above all the rest is that we are learning to become Designers AND Makers! So as I normally change my design in the process of its realization, well this course is perfect! No discrimination for changing your design a GAAaaazillion times.

So after much stress, self loathing, mild arguments, and the classic blood, sweat and tears. 

HERES THE DAMN BITCH.



























Costume by moi : Sanya Torkmorad- Jozavi
Make-up, Prosthetics and Wig: Stefanie Kemp

In the end I was pretty chuffed with this, the construction, the making of it all....yeah.  Didn't think I'd have it in me. Wish I was happier with the rest of my unit's work HA FAIL.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment