Tuesday 31 December 2013

Millinery Work Experience Aaaaaaantica. Pation.

Term 1 of Year 2 has ended and now we're anticipating Industry Unit! I was lucky enough to get an intern at Victoria Grant, London based Milliner. Here is a taste of her Bespoke work


Collaboration with Antony Micallif

Glamour. Theatre. Sex. 
Victoria Grant Bespoke : FACEBOOK  and  TWITTER


Why do Millinery? Good question. Back in the a-level days I kept doing headwear, very amateur but nonetheless it caught me, and for Costume for PErformance I wanted to learn the techniques of millinery because it is full of sculpture which lends itself into my work. Craft from other fields feeding into my work is very exciting to me. And I think in every costume blog post I have done recently all involved millinery techniques SO THERE.

 But as well as that I didn't want to just learn about making, I want to see the PR and business side of a brand, collaborating and networking and just the general nature of it all, because it's ite to dream but the flesh and blood of a situation is much more graphic than a dream makes it out to be. Gotta expose myself to it all. And then hopefully continue in getting shitloads of experience to put on my cv but also to gain knowledge like cray cray.

My biggest problem with millinery however, in fashion, that it becomes the statement piece; yes that is a negative! It literally overshadows the whole being. An accessory, a prop. Adds no depth. Something pretty to look at. Makes me cringe. 

 When we get to the beginning of that unit, I am going to dig deep and force myself to make weekly entries of millinery! Some history, some cool stuff, blah blah. 

I am totes ganna make myself look crap by showing the beginnings and adventures I have taken in 'millinery', nostalgic for me like for real.


AS Level, 2009-10?
Fear of the Unknown was the title of that project, apparently. I appear to of done something about sexuality and recycling... FRESH. Pure experimenting fam.

Quality street Wrappers, cotton, sequins, food colouring, cupcake cases.


Wool, wire and button hat.

A2 Level
'Passion and Obsession', my 'character', muse, narrative, was Cruella Deville, animals and fashion.
None of it is wearable, unless you are the actual size on the models.








 







CSM Foundation Models for my final piece







I want to get some good sots of my LCF headwear work so until then, here are pieces that are getting my juices going.

YUM.

Leigh Bowery, I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

Philip Treacy on Grace Jones.

Charlie Tuesday Gates, insane artist. 
Blog, if you dare see her grotesquely real and confrontational work. 

Kirsten Woodward, Sex on the Brain, 2009 

Guinevere van Seenus featured in the AnOther editorial "Stephen Jones" from March 2009 , showing Stephen Jones Millinery

Nevermind his recent weightloss, Boy George hats have got it going on. (With Johnny Themis)

Daniel Lismore

No comments:

Post a Comment